Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Story behind Tydon's Name...


Before I was even pregnant with this last pregnancy, I was reading in the Bible one morning about Joseph who was sold into Egypt.  There's a scripture in there that then also talks about how someday, there would be another great leader with his same name (Joseph) who would be named after his father.  And after reading the "Book of Mormon," we know that this scripture is referring to Joseph Smith, who helped to restore the Gospel of Jesus Christ in the latter-days.  Anyway, as soon as I read this scripture, I immediately felt like our next baby was going to be a boy & that we should name him Joseph.  I am always inspired by the story of Joseph that was sold into Egypt, because even though he has a lot of bad things happen to him, he always tries to make the BEST of the situation & is therefore able to accomplish many AMAZING things.  And Laron really loves learning all he can about JOSEPH SMITH, so I felt like the name Joseph would be a great name to pass on to our next baby boy because it was rich with meaning.

But I admit, even though both Laron & I both agreed on the name, after we found out we were pregnant (& we felt certain he was a boy!), we never actually CALLED him Joseph.  I LOVED the meaning behind the name, but I wasn't sure that "Joseph Pace" had the most amazing ring to it either...

So then... 3 days before we went to our big Ultrasound, to find out officially that he was a boy, Laron woke up with a start one morning, quickly wrote down something on a nearby notebook, then just as quickly, laid back down.  I wasn't used to Laron waking up so abruptly, so I quietly asked, "Is everything okay?"  He immediately sat up on his elbow & excitedly said, "Yeah!  I know what we're supposed to name our baby boy!"  In my head I was thinking, "Uh, yeah, we've already talked about that... We're naming him Joseph," but instead I just raised my eyebrows in wonder & said, "What?"  He immediately responded with, "Tydon."  My initial reaction to this was a very doubtful, "I don't think that's even a NAME!  At least not a name that I'VE ever heard of..."  He insisted that he'd never heard of that name before either, but had really felt like Heavenly Father had prompted him that that's what our baby's name should be.

For the first few days after that, I was a little defensive about the name Tydon, wondering why HIS name was what we should use for our baby, instead of the name that I'd felt like I'D been inspired to use months ago.  But after we went to our Ultrasound & found out that he was indeed a BOY & the more we talked about it, the more Tydon just felt right.  In fact, we shortly thereafter even started calling him Tydon & it just seemed to fit.  So in the long run, we actually ended up using BOTH of our names for his name... Tydon for his first name & Joseph for his middle name.

It's interesting sometimes how God works in our lives... I'm not really sure why it mattered so much this time around what we should NAME our little baby, but I love knowing that God cares about even the littlest details of our lives.  And now that we've met the little guy, we feel even more confident that "Tydon Joseph Pace" is the name that fits him!

2 comments:

  1. I liked the name before, but now that I know why you chose it, I like it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great story behind his name. That's really neat

    ReplyDelete