So this last Sunday was "Mother's Day" & I was pretty worried beforehand that it was going to be a disappointing day... Mainly because I already knew beforehand that I was going to feel sick BECAUSE I am a Mother (we're expecting Baby #4!) & because Laron had to work that day, so I knew I wasn't going to be receiving any extra special treatment or anything. And so, it kinda felt like I was being set-up for a lousy "Mother's Day," before the day had even begun. But surprisingly, it turned out to be QUITE the opposite...
The week BEFORE "Mother's Day," Laron randomly surprised me one day by leaving me flowers on the table & a note that said, "Happy Mother's Day!" So I figured that that was his way of apologizing beforehand that he wouldn't be there on the day OF "Mother's Day." And then, a few days later, he ended up buying me 2 tan benches to put on our back porch which I've been wanting, which have been SO nice to have with feeling sick lately... Because on the days where I feel like all I've done is lay on the couch throwing up all day, at least at some point in the day I can go sit on the back porch in the sunshine & feel a little revived to be getting "out of the house" a little & enjoying some fresh air! What perfect timing those benches have been! It's AMAZING how a little fresh air can boost your spirits after being sick for weeks on end!
So "Mother's Day" morning came & I felt sick, as usual. But the first thing I saw when I opened the front blinds that morning was that our Iris' in the front yard finally opened up today! We've been expecting them to bloom ALL this past week, so I felt like that was my "Mother's Day" present from Heavenly Father that morning that they didn't bloom until TODAY, which started my day off with a smile! A small little detail, but definitely a tender mercy from the Lord!
About 5 minutes later I threw-up & as I sat there in front of the toilet a few minutes later, I remember thinking, "Well, things can only get better from here!" (I usually only throw-up ONCE per morning). And that was kind-of the pivotal moment of my day... When I just DECIDED that today was going to be a GOOD day, despite it's many limitations & imperfections.
After breakfast, me & the kids decided that it was too beautiful of a morning not to be outside, so I went outside & sat on my new bench out in the sunshine on the grass & wrote in my journal while I watched the kids giggling & playing all around the yard in their pajamas. We stayed outside WAY too long, but the fresh air & the sunshine seemed to help start ALL of our days off good. Right before I started thinking that we'd better go inside & get ready for church, our Home Teacher (Bro. Christensen) showed up with a "Mother's Day" treat for me. I was a little embarrassed to be caught outside in the backyard with all of us still in our pajamas, but it was very touching to have someone think of me on a day I wasn't expecting them to!
When we finally got inside & looked at the clock, I realized that I only had an HOUR to get all of us ready for church & to feed everyone lunch. I knew that that was probably cutting it too close, but I still tried my best. The closer it got to church time, the more I realized that we were definitely going to be late! Normally, that thought would really stress me out & I'd be snappy with the kids, telling them to "Hurry, Hurry, Hurry!" & we'd all arrive at church frazzled & grumpy because Mom had been yelling. But today, Heavenly Father helped me keep a better perspective on things & I thought to myself, "So I guess we're going to be late... Who cares. It's not worth ruining the day over it." And so we got to church late, but we got to church happy & without any yelling, which actually made church even MORE enjoyable that day!
The 2 final blessings of my "Mother's Day" this year was that I had the day-off of my calling at church that day (the priesthood brethren take over all the women's callings, so they can have a day-off for "Mother's Day"!) & that my Dad had invited us over for a nice "Mother's Day" dinner, so I didn't even have to cook dinner (or even SMELL it being cooked, which is one of the worst parts lately with feeling nauseous)!
So anyway, all-in-all, it was a really great "Mother's Day," contrary to my very LOW expectations! I have been SO blessed to be able to be a Mother to 3 beautiful children & one on the way. How grateful I am for those who made me feel extra special on this very special day of the year!

No comments:
Post a Comment