It's been an interesting transition for us to have Skyler in school... Kimberly has done remarkably well with the change, I think because on that first day when she was sad to see him go, Skyler ever so gently put his arm around her shoulder & said, "It's okay Kimberly...You can play with my TOYS while I'm gone!" And she hasn't had a problem since! We've been driving him TO school (I guess we live too close for buses), and then WALKING him home (it's ONE-MILE each way!). The kids all look SO forward to our daily walks, and I love that he'll talk to me about his day on our walk home. Sometimes it feels like it takes up so much of our day (it takes us an hour to pick him up from school), but once it gets too cold we'll probably just be driving home anyway, so I should just enjoy it while I can!
Skyler LOVES it when his teacher says she's "proud" of him & would do ANYTHING for her praise! Skyler's class is mostly boys, with only 1/3 girls, but Skyler says he plays with the girls at recess because the boys say bad words. I'm not sure what they're saying, but I'm so proud of him for already trying to choose good friends! He's such a good boy & is always trying to do what's right. One of the funniest things he's told me he's done at school was going to "Exercise Class". It took me a minute to figure out what he was talking about, but apparently he went to Gym. But I figure "Exercise Class" is a pretty good name for it too!
Skyler knew all his letters & how to write his name before school started, but he didn't really like writing or coloring, which made me worry he would be a little behind. But seeing other kids doing it & receiving the praise from his teacher for doing it has made ALL the difference for him, because now he comes home from school & says that he's going to go write letters in his little notebook & him and Kimberly will sit there forever together coloring pictures & writing! So for him, Kindergarten has been AMAZING! It has inspired him to become better & given him the experiences of school that he's always dreamed of! I hope he ALWAYS keeps this enthusiasm for learning!

No comments:
Post a Comment